Tuesday, October 25, 2016

It Takes a Village

Well, we are back in the States after a long thirty hours of traveling. We are all tired, but happy to be back with our friends in family! I am still sad that I'm not back with the kids, but I know I will be back someday :)

The phrase "It takes a village" has been one of the phrases that has become incredibly real to me in the past 13 days. It was very visible when my mom and I, two days before the trip, were scrambling to find me shoes that we realized we forgot to grab for the trip. She texted a few people and minutes later, her phone wouldn't stop buzzing with tons of people offering me their shoes. It was amazing to see how much people cared to offer their, not cheap I should add, shoes for me to take to a village in Africa. The phrase started to become relatable to me when we were all sitting in the lobby in Jefferson City at the A1 boys basketball state tournament. It came out that I was saving money to go to Uganda right after they were talking about needing someone to wear the Charlie Charger mascot at the championship game. Long story short, I left for my hotel room that night with a horse costume and half of my trip paid for. I was beyond thankful and absolutely astonished that people could be that generous to help my dream come true. I wouldn't have been able to do it without them. This phrase came especially real to me when I was in Uganda. As I watched women who were neighbors take care of the others children and watched Violet love on the kids like her own, I realized that "it takes a village" is a regular duty of the people of Kawete. They all take care of each other and except others as part of their family so easily. I realized that this is how the Church should be. With everyone taking care and supporting others, it really does take a "village" to raise a child in the way that they should go. 

Throughout this whole trip, I also learned that God is in control no matter what I do. He goes before us, with us, and after us and knows every thing that will happen in my life, and he does it all out of love for me. This was a big realization because I can be very controlling, so handing over everything completely to God was a whole new thing. The whole Uganda trip was an absolutely amazing experience. I am so thankful for my "village" that made it possible to happen and can not wait to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment